Vitamin/mineral deficiencies

Discussion in 'Medical' started by littlecabin, Dec 2, 2016.

1. littlecabin

littlecabin Member

Hi all! We are in love with our little herd of alpacas, 2 gelded males and Lily and the goats of course. One of my males, Gil, has always had a bald nose. We assumed he was rubbing it because of flies, but now that all the flies are gone we are thinking it's a deficiency of some type. I am more curious about this possibility since he began biting and sucking on some chains around our property. They are mainly eating pasture and hay, I have increased the grain a bit since the pasture is mostly gone now. The grain specifically says not to feed any additional Selenium, since it's fortified with it, I guess, along with others minerals. We have a loose mineral, should I be putting that out, even with the grain? They only eat maybe a quarter cup a day of the grain. Are there other mineral deficiencies that bald nose and munching metal could indicate?

2. littlecabin

littlecabin Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

5. littlecabin

littlecabin Member

6. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant