Thanks to Marty for Making Injections Easy and Trauma Free

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Phebe, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Phebe

Phebe Member

One of my yearling males, Titan, had an infected puncture wound that required a series of five penicillin injections. I've never given an injection in my life!
    Thankfully, there was someone here to show me how to do the first one. Not a Marty-trained someone...so the next day I do it the same way. I have someone holding Titan and wham in goes the needle into Titan's rear leg, down goes Titan and the needle and syringe are now in two pieces and I'm swearing, sweating, and having heart palpitations - likely because I hadn't had a breath of air for many minutes. And just think what Titan's experiencing!
    So I reach the brilliant conclusion that there has to be a better way! That evening I read Marty's book, my notes from my previous training (which apparently had gone into a place in my brain I wasn't accessing, and watched YouTube videos on how to give injections.
    The next day, I'm equipped "Marty style" -- my helper is on the outside of the fence, standing quietly holding my extra supplies, I have on my carpenters apron with pockets filled with all the medical supplies I think I'm going to need to clean the area and give the injection -- calmly organized. I breathe and then give the injection on the front leg without holding Titan, allowing him to move around the pen. I'm not going to say Titan felt this was awesome but he sure wasn't stressed or voicing extreme displeasure and I neither was I!
    So on behalf of Titan and myself, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Marty!!!
    Oh and by the way, I practised on a chicken and also highly recommend "Pamela's Chicken Inject-ta--tory" found in Marty's book :)

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.