Tale of two Camelids--the toenail problem

Discussion in 'Herd Maintenance' started by NinaFaust, Dec 27, 2005.

1. NinaFaust

NinaFaust Associate Member

My two alpacas have confounded me on toenail trimming. I have just the 2 as pets. I have trained them on all other things, haltering, leading, coming, cushing, jumping obstacles, ringing a bell, touching a ball, with a combination of Camelidynamics methods and clicker training. Both put their noses in their halters for me, stand still to have it taken off, are comfortable with me standing next to them, and more. We take long walks almost everyday. However, both will not cooperate on toenail trimming.

One animal, Gypsy, was raised by the herd and has excellent manners, is very cooperative and learns easily and willingly. I got them both when they were one year old and had them gelded 4 months later as the fighting between them was intensifying. They have mellowed and do not fight nearly as much. Gypsy seems as though he wants to please me, loves the training games, and will cush on command. The previous owner trimmed nails by grabbing them, forcing them against a fence while they struggled. I was too naive then but knew I did not want to continue that. I had the vet do nails with chemical help, but that is still a struggle and we all hate it.

The other animal, Indigo, who was the original owner's pet, is forward and does not have real proper alpaca manners. Fortunately, I read Marty's article about abberant males a few days after I got him so I did not tolerate cutsy behavior with humans. I think I would classify him as a very bright, control-oriented, hard-wired fellow. If anything irritates him, he makes his precursor "grrr" which is often followed by spitting. He does this to me, he does this to Gypsy. I say "Stop it" and turn my face away with my nose up, just like his pal Gypsy does, and he usually stops after one spit. He only does what I want when he wants. He does not cush for me yet. He also get mad and goes after Gypsy when I am training Gypsy as if he want all my attention, so I have to tie him to await his turn. Gypsy I can just tell to cush off to the side and he will.

Neither of these two fellows likes to be restrained. I have tried working with their feet with them tied to a post. I have had someone hold their lead and try to keep them in balance, but they become very nervous about the other person. I have tried the taming the tiger setup but the two available helpers did not work out. One prefers the idea of getting a belly band to velcro them to the wall, an idea I have thoroughly nixed. So I have backed off all this.

I am trying to work more with getting them to stand in balance, touching their toes with a wand. Out in the field, I will stand next to them, then bend down, and touch their toes with a stick. They have started to tolerate this, but Indigo only accepts a tiny bit before the usual "grrr". In the barn while eating hay I have actually massaged Indigo's toes and even had his foot in my hand a couple inches off the ground for a double toe massage. He seemed to like it, but only tolerated it about 15 seconds. I feel like I am making tiny progress, but it is not yet enough. The dreaded task is about 3 weeks away, and it looks like I will have to have the vet come again.

I have time and patience, but I am frustrated with this difficulty. I read Marty's article in the Guild Library about toenail trimming. I do not have a chute, but given their reaction to being restrained, I am not so sure they would like a chute. Suggestions on other things to try will be appreciated.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. LovelyBoys

LovelyBoys Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. NinaFaust

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. NinaFaust

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. NinaFaust

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. NinaFaust