Shearing During Pandemic

Discussion in 'Shearing & Grooming' started by Kolyowsk, May 4, 2020.

1. Kolyowsk

Kolyowsk Member

Hello! We're getting ready to step out of our comfort zone and do our own shearing next month (June). We had hoped to assist in some shearings before we tried on our own, but that isn't going to be possible due to the pandemic. I just ordered some Arsenis hand shears and I do have access to some electric shears. We will be shearing 4 llamas (maybe 5), with one llama being their very first time. We've been working on desensitization and we're able to trim all of our llamas toenails stress free (in the trailer!), but I'm still nervous about shearing. (I'm most worried about accidentally cutting them.) I've been scouring the forum for any tips and still have some questions...
    • Has anyone ever tried shearing in a small trailer? I wonder if that would be less stressful than trying to do it in a catch pen.
    • How old do you wait for a cria's 1st shearing? We had a cria born in the middle of November, and I wonder if it is better to wait until next year or have them experience it when they are still young.
    • Can you really shear an entire animal with hand shears?! Two of our llamas will just be blanket cuts, but I want to do the neck for the other two.
    • I know the animals will sense my nervousness if I don't get over it. Any suggestions for how to do that when my original idea to assist in some first isn't going to be able to happen?
    I bet there has to be others that are in the same boat as us and shearing for the first time during the pandemic. I've really appreciated the support and knowledge of this community. It really helps to not feel alone when you're trying to do the best for your animals! Thank you so much!

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Kolyowsk

Kolyowsk Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. stenslat

stenslat Associate Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. stenslat

stenslat Associate Member

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. ljbrown

ljbrown CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant