Screamers and Kushers

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by Katherine, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Katherine

Katherine New Member

I just took my first Camelid Dynamics seminar a couple of weeks ago in Virginia. As someone who has been a positive reinforcement/clicker trainer of dogs for over a decade, I found that Marty's approach really "clicked" with me. This past weekend, I was at a friend's house trying to help them with some of their alpacas. They have five (one cria and four yearlings) that they want to show in Georgia in two weeks (yikes). I was able to get them started with the catch rope and wand, and getting halters on some of them without a fight. But I live three hours away, and I couldn't stay. I would appreciate any tips or techniques that will help them get ready for the show. There is one girl who is rearing and screaming, and three of them consistently kush and refuse to move. My friend has recently had surgery and should not be pulling or being jerked. Her husband just wants to slap halters on them and tie them to a post until they learn helplessness. Anything you can offer to make it easier on my friend or her alpacas would be great.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.