Readiness for catch rope and wand

Discussion in 'Herding & Catching' started by Elisabeth, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Associate Member

Earlier on this forum I mentioned I lacked an adequate catch pen. Well, I now have the loan of some really good livestock fence panels (5' high by 10' long , making a 10 x10 pen) for 6 weeks. I am hoping to work on my llamas 2 x every weekend for the time I have these. (I work weekdays, and it is dark by about 6:30 still, so just enough time to feed, before dark. I am hoping it will be light enough to do a bit more in about 3 weeks.) after the panels go back to their owner, I do have some ideas now about how to improve on my current 12 x 15 pens, so that I can continue progress. So...

I have been reading my copy of the Camelid Companion and practicing with my two llamas in the catch pen. I think one of them is about ready for the catch rope but I am hesitant because I feel like there is a step missing. Should I be doing something to get her used to being touched by either the wand or the catch rope? She is normally pretty used to my near proximity, however I am pretty sure she has never been touched before. Should I try to get her accustomed to the touch of the wand and or rope (on her neck or shoulder?) before I try to swing it over her head to catch her? If she is not accustomed to it's presence, I am thinking I will have to be lightning quick to be able to "catch" her with it, and that this is perhaps not the best way? I have been reaching out over top of her back behind her neck with the wand, and usually she just looks slightly annoyed with this or starts to move. If i inadvertently touch her with it, she will flinch/crouch/kick. Should I touch her intentionally to get her used to it?

My other llama is going to take more time. He is a very high strung rescue, with some obvious non-fixable problems - I'm hoping to work on the fixable ones eventually.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Elisabeth

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Elisabeth

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. Elisabeth

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. Elisabeth

9. Elisabeth

10. marty mcgee bennett