Quick clarification on herding

Discussion in 'Herding & Catching' started by heburn3438, May 8, 2011.

1. heburn3438

heburn3438 Associate Member

Hi,

Next weekend is toenail trimming and vaccinations time. I will have the assistance of 2 experienced breeders for the handling etc. This will be my first time administering the injections myself, so they kindly offered to help to ensure I don't get it wrong. They also help handle the animals for the nail trimming.
    What I would like clarified is this... I have 7 adult alpacas, 5 pregnant females and 2 wethered males. I have 10' X 10' catch pen which fits them all in with room to spare. When I put them all in together for brief periods some of the girls start spitting at each other or at anyone in spitting range. I have left them together like this for periods up to about 10 minutes (sometimes with me in there checking them - eyes, ears, mouth etc and sometime without me in there at all) but they don't seem to settle down too much in that time.
    I plan on moving them into smaller pens inside the shed so I have 3 or 4 in an 8' X 8' pen. Should I wait for them to settle in the larger pen before moving them in the shed where the toenail trimming and vaccinations will be happening, or should I just start herding them through after only a few minutes. There isn't a great rush to get the husbandry done apart from the amount of time the breeders have available at my place.

thanks for your advice.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. heburn3438

heburn3438 Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator