Off Colour Alpaca

Discussion in 'Medical' started by victoriambe, Jul 15, 2012.

1. victoriambe

victoriambe CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Hi,
    I have a girl 2years old who is just "not right". She was mated a 10 days ago for the first time, was receptive but didn't know she had to sit so had to be "helped", to which she didn't object.
    Then, the beginning of last week, she was companion animal to her mother to hospital for tooth extraction(another post about that shortly). She had 2 nights away. When she came back, she had a bit of a limp but that seems to have resolved over the last 36hours. But now she it sitting a lot, often away from the herd if they move, with her head down, frequently with what looks like her nose resting on the ground with an arched neck, not the usual full outstretch like when they are sleeping or sunbathing. She has been eating coming in to eat grain and I have seen her nibbling grass.
    Could she just be out of sorts with hormone changes following mating, although I did not notice it with our other maiden after mating or is her behaviour indicative of something more sinister?

Any feedback gratefully recieved.

Thankyou.
    Victoria

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. victoriambe

victoriambe CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.