New Alpaca Owner - Very Lost

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by bevann, Mar 1, 2013.

1. bevann

bevann Associate Member

We just got three alpacas after 25 years of wanting them and now I'm at a loss. My only experience with llamas or alpacas was being on the llama committee at the Houston Livestock Show, so they were all trained and trained well. I guess my expectations weren't realistic. I love the breeders I got my animals from, however, I was shown how to catch and halter them. I've only had them two weeks tomorrow and they were only haltered a few times before I got them and a few times by me, but I stopped all attempts a week ago after I saw how scared they were. I went online and googled how to catch an alpaca and found Marty and her book, which I got immediately. I've been reading and went to camelidynamics.com to order supplies and decided to join the guild.

I am so intimidated at this point and there are no clinics any where near where we live this year. They will now stay in the stall if I'm in it, but mostly because of food. However, once I've given them their treat and go about clean up they hang around and watch me. Today they followed me into the pasture and stayed right with me as I did clean up there. A week ago if I moved in the stall and they were there they scattered. Any time I got close they ran. Now I'm trying to never reach out at them and I'm staying out of their space as I walk by and they're hanging around even with me moving about. I have a 10x20 stall that can be made into a 10x10 with the closing of a gate, otherwise it's pasture. We live on about 3 acres, but have limited their area at this time, so we had control. We also have lots of deed restrictions, so I'm limited with buildings etc.

I was so pleased that they would eat out of my hand, but now I read that that's wrong too. I feel like everything I've done is wrong except stop the catching of them. I want these animals to be happy and well behaved, and me too!

I am ordering wands, harnesses, catch rope etc. but am really concerned as I am doing this on my own. I have three boys - two just turned one and one just turned two! My hope is that I can learn the correct way to handle them. I haven't placed my order, because I want to be sure I'm getting the essentials. Should I get a clicker at this early stage? I currently have the following items on my order: harness, catch rope, both types of wand, training lead and regular lead. Is there anything else I should add at this time i.e. the clicker?

I would appreciate any encouragement, instruction and help anyone has to offer. I've wanted these guys for so long and I want it to be good for all of us.

Thanks, Pancho, Lefty, Sammy and Bev Ann

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. bevann

bevann Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. bevann

bevann Associate Member

6. marty mcgee bennett

7. bevann

bevann Associate Member

8. SylviaGibbons

SylviaGibbons Associate Member

9. bevann

bevann Associate Member

10. carolstanley

carolstanley Associate Member