my experience hand shearing with Arsenis shears

Discussion in 'Husbandry' started by Elisabeth, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Associate Member

This is a first for me. Just sheared this llama with the arsenis hand shears. Although his wool looks sleek in the picture, the undercoat was heavily matted underneath, and I'm sure he's hasn't been sheared in years, if ever. Things went well as I have been brushing this llama lots, and so cutting his fur with hand shears was not a big next step. Although I can't say I'm proud of his appearance now, I am pleased with the end result, because I'm sure he will be so much more comfortable this summer with just an inch or two of fluff. Sorry - I have no "after" picture yet, as it started to rain just as I was finishing.
    A couple questions: About the Arsenis shears the website says "Easy to care for after use, wipe with a dry cloth(not wet), lubricate with a lightweight oil store, wrap in a cloth and store in a dry place." What would be an example of the type of oil you would use? Sorry about the complete newbie questions here.
    Also, now I have this beautiful chestnut brown wool. Probably not the best kind as this is an animal of mixed lineage, and he partially sheds, there is guard hair as well as down. However, I would love to find info on how to process it and use it. Can you direct me to a website or other resources? It actually doesn't seem to be that easy to find much information. I have two more llamas to shear, and one of them will have nicer wool I think - he does not shed and his fibre grows very slowly.[​IMG]

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Associate Member