Making smaller catch pens from 10 x 10 panels

Discussion in 'Barn & Facility Design' started by Pat, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Pat

Pat Associate Member

Marty,

In preparation for your 2-day Basic Clinic at my farm last October, I knew I needed to provide 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 catch pens. The dilemma I faced was one that is probably shared by many others: I had 10 foot panels. I came up with a design that allowed me to use those long panels to construct smaller catch pens. Mine were 9 x 9, but the idea is the same for 8 x 8. I set up seven catch pens using 20 panels. The plan is easily adjustable to allow more or fewer pens to suit your needs. The process involves overlapping the 10-foot panels in such a way that 9-foot or 8-foot square pens are achieved. My sides were held together by zip-ties, and I used your HoldEverythings! to keep the gates latched.

I am attaching several photos and schematics to show what my set-up looked like. By happenstance I used blue panels for the gates, and silver for the sides, but there is no reason not to use the same panels throughout.

These catch pens have so many uses: sorting camelids, keeping moms and crias together, feeding separately, herd management, training purposes, clinic demos, and so forth. I set mine up for your clinic but have not taken them down and have no intention of doing so. I envision using it a great deal.

I hope this plan may be of benefit to others who have long panels but need smaller catch pens. While it would be great to have shorter panels, this allows the same end result without the financial outlay of buying new panels.

Happy Handling!
    Pat

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Pat

Pat Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. heburn3438

heburn3438 Associate Member

5. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

6. Pat

Pat Associate Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator