Llama Behavior - How do we help a llama at My Veterinary Teaching Hospital!

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by zinnga, Jun 3, 2012.

1. zinnga

zinnga Associate Member

Hello all, I am so excited to be on this forum and learn and share my experiences with a very special llama named Delilah. Here is a little bit of background.

I am a 4th year veterinary student at OSU, and one of the species that I am most interested in treating are llamas and alpacas. My vet school has a resident llama that has been with us since 2005, she was donated to the school because the owners could not afford to pay to have a fractured metatarsal fixed. She is used as a blood donor and over the years has become very ill behaved and very well known for her spitting. I am currently on the Food Animal Rotation and asked that she be assigned to me as her caretaker for this rotation. I am trying to work with her to figure out a way to make her a happier llama and also find a way to encourage other 4th year students (as well as anyone else that comes in contact with her) to work with her to change her behavior. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I have chosen her to be the subject of my grand rounds presentation. I own two miniature horses that are therapy horses and am a little familiar with t-touch.

I have had her for 2 weeks so far, and most days she does not spit on me. I have been very gentle with her, because I see that she is not well liked by most students and clinicians, due to her bad behavior. She still pins her ears when I approach her from the side to place her halter on, but does not spit anymore. She is EXTREMELY inquisitive and loves to watch people and animals, but when looked at (by most others) or approached, she gets very aggitated. I want to write a handbook to leave with her that explains how she is to be treated and worked with. Alot of people see her as a necessary evil, but I want to change how they view her.

Any suggestions are most welcome. I will post a little more later and include some pics :)

Thanks in advance!
    Staci Robertson

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. zinnga

zinnga Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. zinnga

zinnga Associate Member

6. marty mcgee bennett

7. zinnga

zinnga Associate Member

8. zinnga

zinnga Associate Member

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. neorose

neorose Associate Member