Leg Dreadlocks - medical problem?

Discussion in 'Shearing & Grooming' started by kpaulette, Dec 3, 2016.

1. kpaulette

kpaulette CAMELIDynamics Consultant

I just received my new Arsenis hand shears and was out at the farm today to see the boys and confirmed my suspicion that Bob flinches just at the sound of the shears. Obviously I'll need to desensitize him just to the sound (that part isn't a problem for Woody, who can't hear a thing!), but in the meantime, here is my concern:

When he was shorn in June, we used a bit of sedative to calm him down but as he was still struggling quite a bit (and a big boy) I had asked the shearers to not worry so much about the legs. All fine, but now he's got these gnarly leg dreads. My concern is that we live in a damp climate and there's lots of muddy areas, and I just wonder if he's going to get sores or infections on his lower legs if those dreads don't ever dry. It's clear that I'm not going to be able to hurry the process of starting to work down there - he is very nervous about those legs! Should I get proactive and get the vet out to sedate him and clean that up?

Appreciate any thoughts and advice!

Many thanks,

PK

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. kpaulette

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. kpaulette

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. kpaulette

7. kpaulette

8. marty mcgee bennett

9. kpaulette

10. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant