Haltering the Never-Before-Haltered Llama

Discussion in 'Herding & Catching' started by Pat, May 16, 2011.

1. Pat

Pat Associate Member

I recently found myself in a tiny (did I say tiny?) trailer with a three-year old intact male that had never been haltered or handled. He was being surrendered to our rescue group, and I needed to get him from the trailer into a stall. "Joe" was obviously frightened, having spent two days in the trailer after having been chased and herded into it and away from his other herd mates, when the husband thought Joe was displaying assertive (not aggressive) behavior. Joe had been with two females, one of which had recently given birth, and he was likely the father of that cria as well as a yearling. No doubt his hormones were in play.

I spent a good bit of time in the TINY trailer with Joe (I swear I didn't know they made trailers that tiny!), giving him grain from a Camelidynamics Frisbee, allowing him what little "escape" path I could, and doing T-Touches on his neck (there is one benefit to being in a tiny trailer). I can't say that haltering him would have made Marty proud, but at least there were no injuries. :)

The second time I haltered Joe was two days later in the stall before the vet did the deed. I had spent a good bit of time with Joe prior to haltering him, and it went better, but still was not something I would want displayed on YouTube.

Continuing to work with Joe for the next couple of days, and always using Marty's techniques, I was a proud foster llama mama when Joe stood perfectly still as I slipped the halter over his nose and buckled it behind his head and made sure of a good fit before leading him out to the pasture.

The third time was a charm, and I was amazed at the change from the first and second times. The techniques work. It may take time to develop the trust and to hone your skills, but the moment will come when you halter, or lead, or conquer an obstacle, and you know that you've done it right and you wished Marty had been there to see it happen! :D

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.