giving oral meds

Discussion in 'Herd Maintenance' started by kmdombeck, Jul 21, 2006.

1. kmdombeck

kmdombeck Guest

Hi Marty,
    The last 3 days has really opened my eyes; I have been giving panacure to 90 alpacas (studs, moms, crias, and girls ready to give birth).

Some background...
    When I first started giving oral meds (about 4 yrs ago) it was a battle, then I heard about Marty and got her tape Med 1. From the tape I started following Dr. Anderson's example and tried to get as far back into the throat as I could before administering the panacure. I found that an animal who struggled would chock on the medication - I thought it was because I was not able to place the paste far enough back in the throat. I have been applying Marty's approach with the herd I work with for over two years, so most know me and go along, to a degree, when I gave panacure.

Two things happened:
    At our clinic in June Marty suggested that I place the paste in the pocket of the jaw (my first thought was that they would spit it all over me), the second, was a good friend of mine told me to stop trying to find time to train and just apply what I know everytime I touch an animal (wise woman). **at this point I have 180 alpacas that I am responsible for and more babies on the way**

Well the last 3 days I have done what both woman suggested, what I found was total harmony. With each animal I would start the treatment with some Ttouch (just a few circles around the neck, head and/or mouth), then I would give them the panacure in the right pocket of the jaw (I am right handed). The animals were relaxed and enjoying themselves! I only had one girl out of 90 who did not just accept the Ttouch and meds. IT WAS FUN!!!! Afterwards I pulled out the hose and we would all go for a swim (it was in the 90's all 3 days).

What I discovered was the animals were chocking because they were not accepting the process, it had nothing to do with how deep I placed the tube down their throats.

2. Dorothy Hunt

Dorothy Hunt Guest

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Pat

Pat Associate Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. heburn3438

heburn3438 Associate Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.