Girl down

Discussion in 'Medical' started by tookoi, Jan 13, 2011.

1. tookoi

tookoi CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions. I have a sixteen yr. old alpaca that contracted pigeon blood disease or lowland distemper...It has a lot of names, but it involves an abscess under the jaw with a lot of gross puss and tissue loss. Most commonly found in horses, often referred to strangles in colts.
    Anyway, she lost about 50 lbs, milk dried up. cria on a bottle. She was eating well and is being treated every day. Antibiotics every other day, betadine flushes of the involved areas daily. We've definitely made some headway, but there is bone involvement and she is not presently a surgery candidate.
    New problem, I was gone for 5 days, had reliable help taking care of my girls, and was on my way home when the help called and said that Catamarca was down and wouldn't come in for grain. Well, here in Elko, NV it hasn't been above freezing in a month and most temps are in the 20° and below range. We've had absolutely no respite from the bitter, deep cold. So, I had him cover her with a blanket until we got home (couple of hours).
    Now she has been down for almost two whole days and this is what we've done. We cover her up very toasty at night with lesser blankets during the day. She's had vitamin shots, banamine, antibiotics, probiotics, Nutri-drench, and lots of TLC, but now she won't get up.
    She is alert and interested in what's going on. Eats well, poops, pees, ruminates. Just won't, or can't, stand yet. May be too weak yet. We have a sheet under her as a sling and lift her up a few times a day to encourage her to move and to clean up under her. Vet has no more suggestions. I hope that if I can keep building her strength and encouraging her to move, I might be able to save her. She's such a sweet thing and an import too. She's come so far with the use of Camelidynamics it's almost unbelievable. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks, Tandy

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Jan Pressler

Jan Pressler CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. tookoi

tookoi CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator