Frothing, foaming at the mouth and apparent choking

Discussion in 'Medical' started by robert flowers, Aug 3, 2016.

1. robert flowers

robert flowers Associate Member

A couple of days ago, in the evening, I went to give my 2 llamas their evening treats, a little grain, some pelllets & a little alfalfa. one of them was foaming and slobbering at the mouth, and after just a few bites at his treats he definitely appeared to be choking and coughing up, and did spit out the wad of hay he had just eaten. my vet is on vacation, so after surveying this site I gave him a 60 ml syringe of baking soda. The next morning at dawn I went to check on him, he appeared to be doing better, but in the evening he was a little foamy again but not as bad. This morning seemed okay sorta, and this evening same thing His nose seems runny to me, like a kid with a cold or something
    I will say the pasture has an over abundance of sand burrs this year...in some areas...he might of gotten into them but with the other guy right next to him with no signs or symptoms ?
    Having just lost one a little more than a month ago..needless to say I am on edge . Hope to have the vet here soon..any input will be greatly appreciated. I have been studying up on megaesophagus, but what I need is some good home remedies...thanks

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Kitty

Kitty Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant