Feeding, I'm confused

Discussion in 'Herd Maintenance' started by Josie, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Josie

Josie Guest

I am in the UK and having trouble getting to grips with feeding my animals correctly, everyone is telling me something different.

I am feeding camelibra and fibregest which is supposed to priovide all the vitamins and minerals they require.

I am also feeding hay and haylage (horsehage brand name) so they can choose which they prefer. The haylage is vaccuum packed hay which is very sweet smelling and a little moist. Some people have suggested haylage is not very good for them but others say its fine. The hay in the uk is mainly cut with horses in mind and is not cut early at a short length but normally cut after it has grown tall and a bit stalky to prevent laminitis in horses.

I have some animals (mainly the male suris) who are doing fine but some of my females are a little underweight and sadly their paddock has very little grass. I have been told I need to feed them more protein to put condition on them and was reccomended to feed alfalfa pellets but have just read a post on this forum about a death caused by alfalfa.

I know there are several alpacas in america that have little or no grazing for all or part of the year and just wondered what you guys fed your animals to keep them in top condition.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. silverpunch

silverpunch Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. NinaFaust

NinaFaust Associate Member

5. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

6. NinaFaust

7. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

8. NinaFaust

9. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

10. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator