Elderly llamas have PTSD from Tuesday’s barn fire, won’t go in to new barn

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by Pamelapaddock, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Pamelapaddock

Pamelapaddock Member

Greetings all.

I’m new to this forum and have a somewhat urgent post. Sadly, my barn burned down this last Tuesday and only one of my two elderly rescue llama gents (22 years old) will go in to the temporary barn. Extreme frigid temps are coming up in the next few days and I wonder what you would do.

These are extremely hand-shy, almost feral rescue llamas who don’t do any kind of well with haltering, etc. My gut inclination is to halter the wayward llama and (forcefully and gently) lead him into the barn for the frigid days ahead and close them into the barn.

I don’t want to traumatize anyone worse than they already are! They only barely escaped the fire because they were not closed into the barn! What would you wise folks do?

Any thoughts are gratefully appreciated!

Pamela
    Asheville, NC

LlamaLill likes this.
  2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.