Clicker training to accept handling on the legs

Discussion in 'Applied Behavior Analysis / Clicker Training' started by Ann Marie, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ann Marie

Ann Marie CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Hi all clicker friends,

I would love to have comments and suggestions on this case.

Winny is an 8 years old intact male. Very tough guy. Hates having his toe nails trimmed. In fact he hates it so much we only trim them once/year in connection with the shearing. Not good.

Then I got the idea (after the chicken camp :D) to use clicker with the goal to make him accept to be touched on the legs and lift the feet.

So I took my target (a stick with a tennisball, very simple) and first step was to make him touch the target with his nose, click, treat. He got the idea in 5 seconds. He even loves this game! Next step was to place the target somewhere on his body, click, treat. In the beginning he did not like that at all but it did not take very long until he accepted it without jumping around too much. Click, treat. Next step, he must stand completey still before click and treat. Also that he has accepted - when the target is on his back or side. Slowly, slowly I am now trying to come closer to his legs. And THIS is NOT OK in Winnys world. He has a serious issue about legs...

Attach some pictures. On the first (up, left) Winny is standing still with target on the body. Click and treat. The second (up, right) he is not standing still. Third (under, left) he stands still click, treat. Plese note that the target is coming closer to his leg...:) And in the last picture click treat,and a happy Winny! And happy me... But how do I reach his legs?

So Marty, Susan, Nina or anybody out there - help! Do I do something wrong or should I continue what I am doing but with lots of patience? Any comments or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Thank you!!

Ann Marie

2. NinaFaust

NinaFaust Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Ann Marie

Ann Marie CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. NinaFaust

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. neorose

neorose Associate Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

8. NinaFaust

9. NinaFaust

10. neorose

neorose Associate Member