Clarification on leading signal please

Discussion in 'Leading' started by heburn3438, May 2, 2010.

1. heburn3438

heburn3438 Associate Member

Hi,

Further to Marty's thread in the Camelids in the Community posts last weekend I used the neck wrap on one of the females I've been helping out with, but did not get the same reaction as we did at Marulan with the boy - Caramel?

It might have been that I did the wrap but someone else was doing the handling, but I am not going to give up. Perhaps she just didn't like it!

However, I did have a lot of success with the midline catch method. Even got to the point where my wand and catch rope spent most of the time on the ground alongside the fence and I just used the midline catch. With the aid of a handler helper I was able to halter quite a few of the girls.

I also finally got my synchronisation right whilst leading with using the wand like a gate, just as Brad suggested, and had one of the girls stopping nicely.

One question though... If you are in front of the alpaca quite a bit (to the end of the leading rope giving a bit of space when leading), how can you effectively give an upward signal on the lead to halt? Bringing the wand in front worked along with the word whoa (drawn out) and she got to understand that, but I found that I was too far ahead to give an effective signal down the lead.

Regards,

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.