Magnetizing the Catch Pen

Discussion in 'Herding & Catching' started by lynda, Sep 25, 2014.

1. lynda

lynda Member

Hi Marty,
    You had requested a description of how I magnetized the catch pen for my adult female rescue llama in the relaxation protocol thread under behavioral challenges. I thought the answer may fit this herding and catching subject better.

My set up was a 12 by 12 stall and a larger perhaps 36 by 24 foot paddock. I wanted to teach her to go into the catch pen from the paddock. This worked with her because what she wanted was for me to leave her alone and the paddock was small enough. So I approached her and if she faced the smaller pen I would back away just a bit. Then I'd move closer to her and if she stood facing the doorway I'd give her space. Many times rather than go in she'd turn and bolt back across the paddock. I'd just walk back to where she ended up and follow her all around until she stood facing the doorway again and then I'd stop and give her space. Step at a time. One step and I'd give her space. Another and I'd give her space again. As soon as she went in the pen I closed the door and walked away and left her alone for a few minutes. For this llama it made the catch pen the safe haven. If I tried to approach her in the paddock she would scamper into the stall and wait for me to close the door and give her some space--which I did.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. lynda

lynda Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. lynda

lynda Member

6. marty mcgee bennett