Do I have to shear Alpacas every year?

Discussion in 'Shearing & Grooming' started by Serenity, May 14, 2014.

1. Serenity

Serenity Member

I am new to the alpaca world and received my four alpacas this past winter. I was set to work on shearing this month, but I am noticing that the wool is quite short, maybe 3 -4 inches. Last year they were shaved down, but now I am hand shearing and I wont be able to get enough wool length for proper processing.

I wonder if I can wait until next year to shear as I let the wool grow a bit more for my methods of shearing. I could trim them up a bit to keep them cooler this summer, but in coastal, BC, Canada it is not going to get that hot.

I read an article mentioning that for one group in Peru, the Alapacs are sheared every other year. What do you think or is your experience?

I really appreciate having this forum!

2. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Serenity

Serenity Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. twinsetjan

twinsetjan New Member