Female alpaca charging at guardian dogs

Discussion in 'Husbandry' started by nancyl, Jun 2, 2014.

1. nancyl

nancyl Member

I could use some advice for dealing with my female alpaca who continues to charge at our livestock guardian dogs. They are Maremma Sheepdog pups, male & female, 5 months old. They have good submissive responses to both the female and the gelding, they are supervised when with the alpacas since they are young, but I'm concerned they are getting intimidated by the female. Background is female is about 6 yrs old, I have had her only 8 months. She has been with Great Pyrs in her earlier life, with no known issues. Last Feb during an ice storm that coated our perimeter electric fencing, we had three border collies get into the pasture and chase them around - we caught them quickly, but she aborted her 5 month pregnancy two days later. I realize she probably remembers this situation and is a likely reason that she is behaving this way. She was recently bred, but was behaving this way before she was bred. The gelding is very curious and gentle with the dogs. We will have a few more herd mates soon. She LOVES the hose, so I try to get that out when the pups are in the pasture, so she associates them with something good. Appreciate all suggestions.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. nancyl

nancyl Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. NancyWoodward

NancyWoodward Active Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator