Runaway Llama

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by PennB., Apr 5, 2014.

1. PennB.

PennB. New Member

I have recently joined the guild, and have a question on llama behavior and training.. I recently purchased an 8 yo female llama, named Begonia, from a breeder in Portland, OR. Upon visiting her farm and being in the catch pen with several other llamas, Begonia approached me, and I was able to catch and touch her without chase, and felt she was right for our farm and 4 small shetland sheep she would be guarding and herd with.
    After bringing her to our farm, I was able to approach her with a small pail of feed she would eat out of, but once I tried to reach out and grab her halter she ran off and has since been stand offish and will only let me approach within 5 feet or so, and will not let me touch her or catch her. She is on a 2 acre pasture during the day and at night we keep her in a small pasture with the sheep, she comes into the smaller pasture with ease. We tried to catch her by trapping her behind a small barn, but it seemed to be stressing her, which was about 3 days ago. Since then I have not made a effort to catch her in fear of stressing her , and that I am scaring her.
    I feel I need to be able to handle her for grooming purposes ie nail clipping and shearing and to lead her by a halter. I would appreciate any advice and training tips from Marty or other folks out there that can help.
    Regards, Penn B.:)

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. PennB.

PennB. New Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. tookoi

tookoi CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. NancyWoodward

NancyWoodward Active Member

7. marty mcgee bennett