Chest Butting Cria

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by Phebe, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Phebe

Phebe Member

I'm beginning to worry about the behaviour of my 5.5 month old cria, Briana. She's chest butted me twice in the last 12 days. The first time was after I'd been away for 8 days and went out to feed grain in the morning when I got back. I was standing in the middle of my 8 girls letting them say hello. Briana walked up to me and butted me with her chest. The second time was last night. I had just finished putting out the hay and was standing still in the middle of the paddock watching them eat. Unbeknown to me, she had come up behind me. She chest butted me on my back.
    I marched her around the paddock tapping her on her hind quarters to make her move. After a minute or two (longer than I thought she would take) she went to her mom but I kept making her walk around. Which she did. Finally her tail went up and her body came down in a more submissive posture. We stopped and I held her with my arm in a balanced posture for about 30 seconds and then let her go. I was hoping to show her that I'm in charge. Not her. And that her behaviour is not acceptable.
    Background -- Briana almost died when she was born August 21st and was bottle fed for the first week of her life until her Mom took over. I handled her as little as possible during that time and haven't handled her since except when the vet was here last week to vaccinate and microchip. Any interaction we do have, I try to make it initiated by me and not by her.
    Briana is definitely more interested in human contact and definitely more 'in your face' than the other two cria born last summer. She is usually the first one to come up to me when I go out into the pasture. She is right beside me when I'm preparing the grain dishes and at times in the way. I've gently tapped her on the nose, firmly said "Briana, NO" and told her to get back. A couple of taps and she does. She now understands "Briana NO" and usually listens. If not, I tap her on the nose and she'll back off. When I'm putting out the hay she is right beside me at every stop. I put out hay in six different spots. She is frequently the first one to do things, e.g. move from one pasture to another. So seems fairly confident.
    Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. NancyWoodward

NancyWoodward Active Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Phebe

Phebe Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator