shearing!

Discussion in 'Herd Maintenance' started by Zera, May 22, 2013.

1. Zera

Zera Member

I just sheared Zera- by myself! I am thrilled. The Jakoti shears came in the mail yesterday. It was rainy and cool so I waited until this morning. It is still delightfully cool for the end of May, but warm enough to begin trimming- especially because I am draaaagging the process out in several sessions.

I have been working with Rayah (mommy) using the Camelidynamics techniques with Zera (her cria) in the pen. Zera is definitely more comfortable with me. Since she doesn't mind me touching her (not that I do that often, hardly ever actually, but I can) I thought I would start with her.

Put some hay and grain in the pen, closed the gate. I sat next to Zera while she ate. The Jakoti shears are wonderful! So easy to use, even with smaller hands. A few years ago we had gotten some shears from Tractor Supply... so big and intimidating looking, I just let my husband use them while I held the leadrope. Sigh. Then we switched to electric shears and that was such a horrid... eh... mess. The cord, the noise, the heaviness, the constant adjusting and sharpening and expense, etc.

I never imagined I could do this alone..! The alpacas are "my thing" if you know what I mean. ;) husband likes them but they're not something he'd have gotten had I not been talking about them nonstop for years. Hehe. So it is nice to be able to work with them when I want and not just when help is available.

Anyways, so I sat beside Zera and sheared from shoulder to tail while she ate. She never walked off, yay! She kicked half heartedly when I did her back leg but I just ignored that. I took about 3 inches off the length and there is still about 2 inches left to her skin. Fluffy girl. I only did her right side and tomorrow I'll do the left.

With Rayah I am anticipating her to walk off a few times and then cush. I might try just letting her walk... but if she does too much I'll use the HH and encourage her to stand. I think she'l do fine, she has a very sweet personality but she is a bit uncomfortable around people, her previous owners didn't finesse her. ;) she is responding well to alpaca respectful handling though and seems to like me now.

Okay! So that is where I am. No stress one person alpaca shearing. Who knew. I have a laundry basket of silky soft cria hair to sniff till my heart is content. I LOVE intoxicating alpaca scent... mmm.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Zera

Zera Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. NinaFaust

NinaFaust Associate Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. Zera

Zera Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. Zera

Zera Member

9. NinaFaust

NinaFaust Associate Member

10. marty mcgee bennett