Poor doing alpaca- Can't stand

Discussion in 'Medical' started by GoldenVale, Apr 7, 2013.

1. GoldenVale

GoldenVale Associate Member

Hi. As a recently joined member I am finding the Forum a wonderful source of practical information. I have a major problem with Moonshine, an almost 2 year-old male alpaca who almost daily falls on his side and can't right himself. I fold his front legs which are usually sticking out straight then set him up in cush and he can get up himself. Very occasionally his front legs get tangled and he trips but he seems to fall over mainly during the night. He didn't thrive from very early in life, seemed a miserable, timid little fellow, never played with the other cria and always stuck closely to his mum. Because of all that I did not wean him but kept him with the females. Gradually his walking deteriorated - wide-spaced back legs and started stumbling with the front ones - and he raised his back-end higher than the front. This occurred over his first year. THEN due to interference with a fence, my big stud male got in with the females and attacked Moonshine. I didn't witness this but he was quite traumatized when I checked in the evening (I live 6 miles from the farm. I have now brought him with his ma and a 'friend' to my orchard at home.) My vet believes Moonshine has a back injury, another vet manipulated his legs after which he couldn't walk till she did some more and he could walk again. I've had a vet physio and an animal chiropractor look at him, the latter also believes he has a back injury between the thoracic and upper spine. I have been on the point of putting him to sleep twice because I don't want him to suffer but he seems to be an otherwise healthy boy - eats very well and has gained hugely in confidence and 'happiness' since he came to the orchard. I fear this is not curable but will continue to be a management situation. Any thoughts and advice would be most welcome. Eloise

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. GoldenVale

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. carolstanley

carolstanley Associate Member

6. marty mcgee bennett

7. GoldenVale

8. marty mcgee bennett

9. GoldenVale

10. marty mcgee bennett