Gelding

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by tormed, May 9, 2010.

1. tormed

tormed Guest

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around for awhile, and since this is my first post I first want to thank everyone for all the information you share and time you take doing it. It's very helpful.
    I have 3 male fiber alpacas, and got them all from the same farm. They're just about 3 years old now and all intact. I haven't had much problems with them other than a stand off between two of them every now and then. In the beginning it was quite often and could get pretty serious, but now it seems to have leveled out. However I have been thinking about gelding for quite some time, since I got them. To be honest I have very ambivalent feelings about this. Parts of me say geld without question, another part of me say no. Finally I've come to the conclusion to geld them all. I wouldn't want to do just the alpha of them as it wouldn't seem fair. They're all fiber boys and I'd rather they put their manly energy into fiber than pushing each other around, and I know they will never be used as studs.
    I'm lucky enough to have a local vet that knows alpacas. What a luxury that is. They're being gelded tomorrow. Is there anything I should be on the outlook for after the fact, other than making sure it doesn't get infected? I recon just give them peace, quiet and space to get back to themselves again. I have shearing coming up next Sunday, but hopefully 1 week should be enough for them to heal up adequately.

Marianne

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. tormed

tormed Guest

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. millerEC

millerEC Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. millerEC

millerEC Member