What do you do when an alpaca dies?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by dwales, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dwales

dwales Guest

I am a fairly new alpaca owner. We have a small herd that was being agisted while we got our farm ready. There was an accident with a bull camel on the agisting farm and several of our alpacas were killed. When our remaining herd came to us, several were injured, but recovering nicely. Unfortunately, a few had internal injuries that were hidden. One just dropped dead all of a sudden. As new alpaca owners, we were totally unprepared for this. We did not know what to do. When Marty told us of Nordica a few weeks ago, it made me want to ask this question of everyone. What do you do with the remains of an alpaca that you have lost? The one we initially lost I had no connection to. We had to make a quick decision about what to do because of Texas heat and predators. Since then we have had to deal with a cria born too early, losing a mother who prolapsed, and losing one more from the bull camel after a year of loving her. I felt very differently about those deaths. However, in the midst of my tears I have tried to be pragmatic with each of the deaths we have faced. The vet did a necropsy on one to make sure of the cause of death and the others we buried. I just wondered if people have a cemetery on their land for their alpacas? Do you cremate them? Is there some other option? We have a memorial garden where we have buried our animals, but I don't know if that is a very practical solution long term. How do other people handle this?
    Dawn Wales
    Green Dragon Farms

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. julie follansbee

julie follansbee Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. dwales

dwales Guest

5. docdennis

docdennis Associate Member

6. lliptak

lliptak Guest

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. LesLamasDeRocaNera

LesLamasDeRocaNera Associate Member

9. marty mcgee bennett