The Cornwall advanced clinic

Discussion in 'Camelidynamics Clinics' started by hilaryc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. hilaryc

hilaryc Guest

A big thank you to Marty , and to Julie for hosting a great clinic. We had a very European ( sorry , cant say that - Switzerland is not in the European union , though England, France, Netherlands, Belgium and Sweden are ( I think!).

Adding in positive reinforcement training to the camelidynamics handling was a great mix, both with the use of Tagteach , a little clicker training, and all of us looking out for each other to reward anything "good". Tagteach really helped one with all the separate components of behaviour. ( For anyone in England there is a TAgteach certification course in March of next year).

My biggest learning points were to actually use the skills I know when getting home.( as opposed to using midline catch and making do!) Adding in a neck wrap, as well as reviewing catching skills has already made a great difference to my more difficult boy. This week, we have progressed to a walk down the lane ( with my 10 year old assistant doing a great job of leading my other yearling). I also have a real plan on how to teach Kate(10) to halter - a combination of Tagteach, and backchaining, so she learns the halter bit before the wand and catch rope, so ends the process with a more familiar task.
    I have already started a little liberty leading with the 2 ( following a target) using c/t so hope to progress a little bit more with that (I already use c/t with my horses )

It was great to be at Julie T-B's lovely place, as well as a great visit to Llamaland. The evening after the clinic four of us also visited Chy Lowen Alpacas - and met Mary and Mike. Mary uses her alpacas for animal-assisted interventions - I am in awe of the work they are doing.

A great B and B, and some fab conversations over breakfast ( probably not so for the 2 train spotters ( for those not familiar people who go round looking at trains) at the table next door - as we were discussing problem births!

And the last thanks to everyone on the course - a great bunch.

2. alpacaoord - Yvonne

alpacaoord - Yvonne Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. hilaryc

hilaryc Guest