Death of a Cria

Discussion in 'Husbandry' started by millerEC, Jun 29, 2011.

1. millerEC

millerEC Member

We had a situation that I've never heard about and wondered if anyone in the guild could help. Crystal, our 4 year old Llama went into labor last Wednesday...she is a maiden Llama. Unfortunately, she didn't dilate. I got home from work (around 7P) and discovered she was in labor but it was apparent she wasn't dilating. The vet was called immediately but he was delivery a calf so he didn't get to us until 8:30P.

When he checked the little cria, it was already dead. We had a terrible time getting this little body out of Crystal. The good news is that we saved Crystal.

I asked the vet why she didn't dilate and he said sometimes a maiden's hormones are "off" and they don't dilate, although this type of situation is fairly rare. Since this happened, I've checked on the Internet and this appears to be called ringwomb. There's nothing that I've found about this regarding Llamas, but in some of the articles (especially in goats and sheep) it said this could be genetic.

Has anyone from the guild had this happen and if so, was the Llama, after this pregnancy, able to have an uneventful delivery? Believe me, I have no intention to breed Crystal for quite some time...want to make sure she is healthy after this terrible event. However, if there is a possibility of this being genetic then she won't EVER be bred nor sold in case someone else tries to have her bred.

Your thoughts or help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. OHL

OHL Practitioner

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. millerEC

millerEC Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Linda586

Linda586 Associate Member

5. millerEC

millerEC Member

6. victoriambe

victoriambe CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant