Clicker Training with other species

Discussion in 'Applied Behavior Analysis / Clicker Training' started by Liz McDannold, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Liz McDannold

Liz McDannold Practitioner

Hi All,
    Slightly off topic, but...

Been working with some amazing critters as a volunteer at our local natural history museum. Raptors, porucpines, badgers, skunk- so exciting, so much to learn! And I am thrilled that absolutely everything we've learned in Camelidynamics is totally translatable into work with other species (with maybe only a few mechanical tweaks to respect structural and behavioral differences in the species.) And the 'new' animals, who have been trained/handled using positive, operant methods, are so much calmer, more outgoing and interested than the 'old' animals, who have not!

Some of our animals are v-e-r-y s-l-o-w moving (porcupines and desert tortoises, for example) I'm working on a training plan for a young porcupine, and would like to put some of her natural behaviors on cue for educational programs. She is friendly, interested, and outgoing by nature. And I've identified some high value treats that can be made small enough for her to eat relatively quickly. (Normally, porcs sniff their food, then take it in their front feet, sit back on their haunches, and gnaw on it in a slow, methodical fashion. Takes forever.) The behavior I want to shape is to release her from her crate, have her walk along a horizontal tree trunk, and climb an upright trunk, and eat on the flat surface at the top. All things she does all the time.

My question, for Dr. Susan and all your other CT'ers out there, is, do I need to modify the actual Clicker training to accommodate her slow movement, or just put myself in a different time warp while training? I'm thinking of dogs, or other animals, for whom it's not a big deal to go to the target, come back for the treat, go back to the target, etc. in relatively short order. I'm not concerned about the time it will take her to actually DO the behavior, it is a speed that is totally appropriate and natural for a porc to move.

I've no doubt that she will 'get' the target. Should I move the target progressively and treat her where she is when she touches it rather than try to have her come back to me, then go again?

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas VERY gratefully accepted! This whole training thing is so exciting- I can barely go to sleep at night for thinking about it!

thanks!
    Liz

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. neorose

neorose Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. NinaFaust

NinaFaust Associate Member

5. Liz McDannold

6. rwells

rwells Guest

7. Liz McDannold

8. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

9. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

10. Liz McDannold