Help me correct the behavior I created

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by turkeytrots2, Apr 11, 2022.

1. turkeytrots2

turkeytrots2 Associate Member

I am finally willing to own that I ‘messed up’ our female llama Caliente, 10 years old. Yes, I am guilt of Novice Handler Syndrome. She was a bottle baby and I believe we did fine with that. But, her nuzzles and snuggles as a cria were irresistible = problem.

She is a head taller than I am. See current photo. Will halter easily. On walks she now gets out ahead almost always. (when we were showing her, she was well behaved but we have not showed for more than 5 years).

Big problem now and it does not happen all the time (It is like somedays she just gets up on the wrong side of the bed): she wants to physically dominate me by spitting, body pushing me, neck/head wrestling, flinging head, putting her head on top of mine, etc. This behavior seems to have nothing to do with food. She just gets in a ‘mood’ and I know that is not really describing the behavior. Also, a number of years ago, my husband started clucking back at her clucks. as soon as I realized what he was doing, I told him to STOP! He has, but she starts clucking ever time she sees him.

She is appropriate with the other llamas. They spit at each other and neck wrestle appropriately but not frequently.

What corrective actions to I take? Of course, pushing on her next does not help=she just pushes at me harder. Doing T-touch. circle on side of face=no reaction. the T-touch with open palm on neck and body (wish I could remember the name of this movement) does help. I seem to be in tune with T-touch. I am not very adept at clicker training.

Thank you, Kathy Stanko

Attached Files:

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. turkeytrots2

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. turkeytrots2

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. turkeytrots2

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. turkeytrots2

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. turkeytrots2