Livestock guardian dog and llamas/alpacas

Discussion in 'Barn & Facility Design' started by Kolyowsk, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Kolyowsk

Kolyowsk Member

Hello!
    I'm posting to see if anyone has any experience with owning livestock guardian dogs with llamas and alpacas.

Here's why: I live on a couple of acres in the mountains of Colorado with a few llamas, alpacas, sheep, and poultry. We have a high predator load- bears, mountain lions, coyotes, bobcats- pretty much you name it and we probably have it. We've had our livestock for 6 years without any problems. Our chicken coop fortress has a 5 string hot wire fence around it and since we did that we haven't had any problems. Not too long ago we had a bear breach our 5 foot no climb fence and rip a hole in it. We don't think the bear actually bothered our animals, but one of our llamas got tangled up in the fencing and passed away. This was one of the worst things to happen to our farm. My vet has also told me that she had to euthanize a llama last summer that WAS attacked by a bear. I want to do everything I can to make sure my animals are safe here.

I don't keep any grain in the barn. I have barn cams and lights set up. We're hot wiring the perimeter fencing. One of the last things I have in my control to do seems to be owning livestock guardian dogs.

My male llamas are used to dogs somewhat. We have a basset hound that is around them often on a leash. We take the boys packing, so they are used to encountering dogs on the trail. They are calm around them and are usually more curious than anything. My alpacas and female llama are only used to our pet dog. They pretty much always scamper away from the pet dog if I enter their area with the pet dog on a leash.

Thanks in advance for sharing all your thoughts and experiences. I just want to know that I've done everything I can think of to keep everyone safe.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Kolyowsk

Kolyowsk Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.