Two semi-wild llamas

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by PennySetterfield, Nov 5, 2019.

1. PennySetterfield

PennySetterfield Member

Hi, I'm Penny Setterfield. A few weeks ago a neighbor dog jumped our five foot chain link fence and killed one of our little rescue pygmy goats. Animal Control is pretty useless here and a girlfriend of mine decided she could help and gave us two of her llamas. Sounds good until you realize these two a mother and a son (9 and 7 years old, son is gelded) had been running wild on her 40 acres for the last five years.

To get them here, they were literally manhandled into the trailer and dragged out and turned loose in our pasture. I have read Camelid Companion but I need help. They fear and mistrust humans now. We have a small turnout that is about 10 x 12 where they know to get fed, so I can get them in there. But the mother is a spitter. If I get near her, too near, she spits. Do I just brave it and keep on going or is there something else?

The boy is way too shy and scared to let me get anywhere near, regardless of what tactic I use. Yes, they always have and escape path -- I don't corner either of them. Somehow I have to get them both able to be handled enough to shear and clip toenails by spring. Hopefully we don't have any medical emergency before that happens!

We have had them about 3 weeks now and I am with them daily. They know me and the mother will occasionally eat a few goat treats out of my hand.

Clues, help, anything for a couple of badly mistreated llamas. Thanks.

2. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. PennySetterfield

PennySetterfield Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Margolit

Margolit Well-Known Member

5. PennySetterfield

PennySetterfield Member

6. Margolit

7. PennySetterfield

PennySetterfield Member

8. Margolit

9. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

10. PennySetterfield

PennySetterfield Member