Safe pain meds for elderly llamas?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Pamelapaddock, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Pamelapaddock

Pamelapaddock Member

Greetings All!

I've got two 22 year old llama geldings who are both showing signs of bad arthritis that seems to be even worse after the stress of my barn fire. My large animal vet (who is not llama-savvy) is recommending Meloxicam, but I hear that it's pretty rough on the gut and may cause ulcers. One of my fellows is already ulcer prone so I wonder about the wisdom of that.

Does anyone have experience with long term pain meds? Possibly Derramax (which my friend uses for her gammy horse)? Thoughts? Ruminations?

Thanks for your consideration!

Pamela
    Asheville, NC

2. Pamelapaddock

Pamelapaddock Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Pamelapaddock

Pamelapaddock Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

6. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member