Getting them in the pen - what's the secret?

Discussion in 'Herding & Catching' started by skigalns, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. skigalns

skigalns Member

I'm part way through the second course, so I've been practicing escape route techniques, and now am working on catching my alpacas with a wand and catch rope.

One question I have, is what happens BEFORE all of the videos in the course? In the online courses, all of the videos start with alpacas in the pen, but that itself is a challenge worth discussing and quite a daunting task for a new alpaca owner.

I feed my alpacas in or near the pen each day, but there are two timid ones who like to stand outside the pen. I have five in total. Later in the day, I can easily bribe about three of them back in with food, but the timid ones often don't want to come near the pen, even for a treat.

I really work hard to move slowly and build trust, because I want the alpacas to be comfortable and happy. Yesterday, I coaxed a timid one and a confident one into the pen (with no food! I was so excited) and when I turned around to pick up my wand, they broke free. They ripped the door out. (I need to get rid of the door. I knew that already but it is so lovely and convenient I was being stubborn.)

What advice do you have for getting alpacas into a pen?

Rhonda VN likes this.
  2. Louise1952

Louise1952 Well-Known Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. skigalns

skigalns Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. Rhonda VN

Rhonda VN Member

7. Rhonda VN

Rhonda VN Member