attacking behavior

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by Katja, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Katja

Katja Member

I really need your help in this case:

I have a mare. Her name is Olga. She is 1/2 guanarco, 1/4 lama and 1/4 alpaca. 3 years old and man-hanled. I have had her for almost 2 months. It turned out she was pregnant and she got a little stallion 2 days ago. You have worked with her on the clinic in Denmark in October.

She has always been very intrusive and comes to people to talk and see if you have food. She has always been friendly, but it is not my impression that she has any respect for human.

It has been easy to get to the foal and everything has been going well until today. I went out to them in the fence. It was start getting dark and they were laying down furthest away on the fence with the foal behind them. I sat down with the 2 adults and talked with them and took some pictures. The foal lay behind them.

I get up to go and walk a few steps before Olga attacking me from behind. I do not see or hear anything. She hits me in my head and hip and I was basically knocked down. When I get up, she stands back calmly as if nothing has happened. From my point of view, it was very surreal and out of the blue, but of course she have another point of view.

Maybe the darkness and the flashes have bothered her eyesight, but she seemed quite calm when I was talking to her…

I do not quite know what to think of the whole situation. Is this behavior an unfortunate combination of a new mother and an owner (me) that is too intrusive?

Or is this behavior something that lies deep in her because of the way she has been handled in her growing up?

I am sending you one of the photo I was taken. On the right side of the picture, you can see the eye of the foal that shines in the dark (behind Olga)

I look forward to hear from you!

2. Katja

Katja Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Katja

Katja Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Ann Marie

Ann Marie CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. Katja

Katja Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. Katja

Katja Member

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. Katja

Katja Member