Cria training

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by Ann Marie, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Ann Marie

Ann Marie CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Just some thoughts regarding the very interesting and important subject of rearing Marty was writing about in the Guild MEMBER Newsletter January 7, 2017. The another side of the same coin is cushing. And in my experience this is even more common - and just as irritating! - during halter training. And I handle it is the same way as rearing: give space, give breaks but perhaps even more important make training sessions so short that you do not need to make breaks. I am presently working on our 17 babies from last summer. I do it almost every day after their breakfast and only max one minute per baby, some are less happy so we do only 30 seconds. But by now they all are accepting being haltered. Sometimes there is one or two having a "bad morning" and suddenly refuse and then I do not insist. Instead we do a little bodywork for 30 seconds. Another thing I am doing, actually for myself to remember how far I have come with each baby, is setting a goal every morning before starting the training. All crias must reach the goal before we introduce a new step. In this way I do not need to think how far in the training cria A and cria B and cria C is as all have reached the same level - albeit with different enthusiasm…

Comments...?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
  2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Ann Marie

Ann Marie CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator