Spit test

Discussion in 'Husbandry' started by littlecabin, Sep 14, 2016.

1. littlecabin

littlecabin Member

Hi all, we have recently introduced our two geldings to our girl. They are all close in age, right around 2. We are unsure if she is currently bred, and I was quite interested in what she would do with these two guys. Well, the first meeting was a spitting contest! She spit and spat all over them! Both boys were castrated in the spring, I have read it can take up to a year for the effect to fully take place (is this true?).

After nearly a week of being in the same pastures the three are getting along beautifully, well mostly. Mac (geld) and Lily (open female) have worked things out and no longer have any problem, standing, eating, pooping, or kushing next to one another. However, Gil, my other gelded male, who is less shy on all accounts, always gets spit on when he goes near Lily, usually it occurs when he sniffs her hind quarters. If he is next to her it's ok, it's just when he goes for the back end sniff (or close) that he gets the spit.

My question is, does the spit test work when the male is no longer intact? Does she continue to spit over and over at him, or will this behavior subside after a few weeks of being together?

PS, I couldn't decide if this was a "behavior" category or "husbandry," feel free to move the post!
    Thanks, Stacy

2. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. littlecabin

littlecabin Member