Rye Grass Stumbles

Discussion in 'Medical' started by robert flowers, Jun 2, 2016.

1. robert flowers

robert flowers Associate Member

Noticed that my oldest and largest Lama was staggering around, falling, struggled to get up and seemed to have weakness in his back legs, menigial parasite did not fit as to date we have yet to see any white tail deer in this area. research of the symptoms also indicated some perennial rye grasses can cause this if they go to seed and are ingested. well we got lots of that especially this year in wet North Texas. we have them penned up now and on hay and I have been mowing the pasture to just over 3" ht. to cut down the seed heads. Vet says it clears up in a few days after you get them off it. Once the season of seed producing is past there is no further problem. So will need to be diligent about keeping it cropped
    these 2 lamas are basically rescues, with Camelid Companion as my guide I have been able to desensitize these 2, call them into the catch pens, catch, them, halter them and work on leading, TTouch etc. trim nails of one on the ground and we got a so so shearing done in March.
    But I am going with the Chemical approach now, the one big guy is just more then I want to deal with, I have used Tame the Tiger on Him and he has made progress, his go to manuever is to spin so that you are nose to nose and he is staring down at me, I think this was a "practice makes permanent" deal he brought with him.
    over all I am satisfied with where we are together, I have had them since last Sept. and that is the total experience I have ever had with any animals other than dogs. and unwanted cats.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. robert flowers

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. robert flowers

6. marty mcgee bennett

7. robert flowers

8. marty mcgee bennett