difficulty haltering two llamas even in a pen and using a catch rope

Discussion in 'Haltering' started by bfl, May 8, 2016.

1. bfl

bfl Associate Member

When I first owned llamas about 13 years ago, I haltered them by cornering them one-by-one and, with my wife, one of us would grab the llama around the neck while the other would lasso the halter onto its head which was a moving target. This was quite dangerous and, on occasion, one of us would get thrown to the ground. After reading The Camelid Companion and attending a three-day Camelidynamics clinic, I was able to halter the two difficult to halter llamas until they recently developed new evasive techniques. I used a 9x9 pen, wand with catch rope, and now they move their heads around such that I cannot get the halter on. Attached are two videos - one video for each of the two llamas. I am hoping for some suggestions on how to proceed. It was only three days ago that I was able to halter both of them and take them for a walk into the pasture.

2. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. bfl

bfl Associate Member

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. bfl

bfl Associate Member