Need to brag after Marty's clinic :-) Successfully shorn a cria

Discussion in 'Herd Maintenance' started by Lilou, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Lilou

Lilou New Member

Today, I successfully shorn a cria (every so lightly) with no restraints or any man handling! I know that Marty does not like the idea of shearing so young. I agree that it does impact the relationship with the alpaca, but as of today I think I have a different opinion.

The primary purpose of the alpacas on my farm is to produce fleece and breed. So, I must consider many pros and cons when choosing what I do and how I do it. When not shorn, the very first super soft beautiful fleece is trash as the fleece they are born with is like a giant velcro all winter long. Today, I decided to continue with this practice of shearing the crias, but used the new techniques Marty taught me.

Actually, I personally did not use them as I was holding the shears! But, I got my preferred extremely scepticle helper to go with this and follow my lead. I had told my helper to meditate with the alpaca as she is doing the balancing actions. It worked like a charm. She successfully balanced Sir Lancelot and impressed her own self in the process. Sir Lancelot protested a few times and we stopped until we were able to achieve a balanced position once again. The entire process lasted for about 15 minutes in total and he rejoined mommy a happy cria. I am looking forward to working with my first beautiful bay black fleece. I am planning on hand spinning every ounce of it next spring.

Thank you Marty for making my job less stressful for my alpacas.

Lilou.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Lilou

Lilou New Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.